Agrigento's Valley of the Temples is an outstanding example of the Magna Graecia (Greater Greece) art and architecture, and one of the main attractions of Sicily. The area was included in the UNESCO World Heritage Site List in 1997.
For this tour with tour leader we will pick you up from your hotel or b&b with one of our vehicles: with a minimum of 3 people the vehicle is a luxury Mercedes-Benz 4x4 or a comfortable 8-seat minivan! From Palermo, Agrigento is not far but there is no motorway so fasten your seatbelt and relax seeing the different landscapes as we drive South-Westward to arrive to what used to be one of the most important Greek colonies in Sicily.
We will visit the following temples, all in Doric style, whose names are a mere tradition established in Renaissance times. The main temples are:
- the Temple of Hera Lacinia built in the 5th century BCE and burnt in 406 BCE by the Carthaginians. It was usually used for the celebration of weddings;
- the Temple of Concordia, whose name comes from a Latin inscription found nearby, was also built in the 5th century BCE. Turned into a church in the 6th century CE, it is now the best preserved in the Valley;
- the Temple of Heracles, who was one of the most venerated deities in the ancient Akragas. It is the most ancient in the Valley, dating back to the 6th century BCE; destroyed by an earthquake, it consists today of only eight columns;
- the Temple of Olympian Zeus, built in 480 BCE to celebrate the city-state’s victory over Carthage. It is characterised by the use of large scale atlases;
- the Temple of the Dioscuri: Castor and Pollux. Built in 495 BCE, despite its remains including only four columns it is now the symbol of the modern Agrigento.
After this time-travel, time for a quick lunch in the Valley or for a proper delicious lunch with typical local food in Agrigento.
Why touring with Palermo Walks? We have been awarded the patronages of the Sicilian Parliament and of the City of Palermo, we provide a 100% satisfaction guarantee, our vehicles are checked every month, you can always talk to one of our managers. Our style is based on storytelling, our unique way of sharing with you the history and stories of people, art, culture, food, traditions. Book your tour now to enjoy the best of Sicily!
- 7:30 Hotel or b&b pickup pickup by car or minivan
- 10:00 Valley of the Temples
- 13:00 Lunch (not included)
- 14:00 Departure from the Valley of the Temples towards Palermo
- 16:30 Hotel or b&b dropoff